Home | Brands  | FAQ  | Stoves, Fireplaces & Fires  | Contact  | Showroom  | Videos

General FAQ's

Q.Do you have your own installers?

A.Yes all our installers are provided by our sister company and are appropriately HETAS or Gas Safe Registered.

Q.Can I have a fire or log burner if I don't have a chimney?

A.Of course, there are plenty of options available, flueless gas fires, balanced flue gas fires or stoves and twin wall flue systems for multi-fuel or wood burning appliances.

Q.How much heat do I need to heat my room?

A. Why not try our heat calculator - http://calc.fireplace.support - just enter your room dimensions and you will get a good idea.

Q.Do you offer free surveys?

A.Yes, absolutely. Just call in to the showroom, have a look at what we have to offer and then we can get you booked in.

Q.Do I need a flue liner?

A.In most cases for a gas appliance as long as the chimney is sound and passes a smoke test, you would not require one. For solid fuel appliances typically any property built prior to 1970 would require a liner. Some manufacturers also recommend using a liner for their product and it can improve efficiency.

Q.Can you make fireplaces to size?

A.Certainly, we work with some of the biggest fireplaces manufacturers including Worcestershire Marble, Caterhams, Elgin & Hall, Aurora to name only a few. All of these can make special sizes fireplaces or hearths etc.

Q.I have seen a fire and fireplace I like but they aren't on display together, can I mix and match?

A.Yes, you can choose any fireplace and fire of your choice and install them together.

Q.Can I fit my appliance myself?

A.No. Fireplaces, fires and solid fuel appliances need to be installed by qualified and experienced technicians who are both trained and registered with the appropriate professional body. Installation by a non-qualified person may invalidate your warranty and house insurance in the event of incident.

Q.Where do you install?

A.We install in Chester, Wirral, Ellesmere Port and parts of North Wales. Please ask for more details.

Q.Do I need an air vent for my fire?

A.For a gas appliance if the gas input is less then 6.9kW then in most cases you would not need an air vent. For solid fuel appliances, typically if the output is 5kW or less then you would not need any air vent, although there are some exceptions for newer properties and for some appliances.

Q.What length of guarantee does my appliance come with?

A.This varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and ranges from 1 to 15 years dependant on manufacturer. Each manufacturer has their own terms and conditions and it may require certain parts changing each year, appliance servicing, and the guarantee may be parts only after a set time. Please see manufacturers terms and conditions for further details.


Q.Which are best open or glass fronted fires?

A.If you are looking for efficiency and a saving on your gas bill then glass fronted would be best. However they do cost a little more in the first place and so if you arenít using the fire that often you may never recoup the cost and so an open fronted fire may be best. Aesthetically, most people prefer open fronted as there is no reflection from the glass.

Q.How do I work out how much my appliance costs to run?

A.Simply multiply the gas input by the cost of a kW unit from the gas bill.

Q.What type of fire can I have?

A.The type of chimney you have will determine what appliances will be suitable. Typically class 1 chimneys mean you can have any appliance where as class 2 (pre-fabricated / pre-cast flues) mean there will be less choice. Most manufacturers make the type of chimney required very clear in their brochure.

Q.I don't have mains gas can I still have a gas fire?

A.Yes, we have a good range of LPG (bottled gas) fires.

Q.Can I put a TV over my hole in the wall fire?

A.Most manufacturers do not recommend this. There are a few open fronted fires specifically from the Gazco Studio open fronted range that do allow this.


Q.We live in a smoke control area, can we still have a multi-fuel stove?

A.Yes, we have many DEFRA approved appliances available to choose from.

Q.Do I need a carbon monoxide detector?

A.Yes, this is requirement for all solid fuel installations. You must ensure you have one available in the property at the time of installation.

Contact Details

  • Address :
  • Unit 2 Canal Bridge Enterprise Centre, Meadow Lane, Ellesmere Port, CH65 4EH
  • Phone :
  • 0151 357 2524
  • Email :
  • info@wirralfires.co.uk
  • Opening Hours :
  • Monday to Saturday 9.30am - 5.00pm